Aging parents can still retain their independence. So that you won’t have to worry about them, it is recommended to do some home modifications. The said home modification in Chatham, New Jersey should improve the safety of your parent’s home.
Here are seven of the most effective home modification tips you can do:
- Call a professional.Professionals know what to look into. That is why calling them for help in deciding what home modifications to do will yield positive results. Some of the professionals you can ask for help include a geriatric care manager, physical therapist, or any other certified aging-in-place specialist.
- Make major and minor changes.Make sure that the home is adapted to ensure not only the older adult’s comfort but also their safety. Consider having wide halls and doorways, stair climbers, zero-threshold entryways, waterproof shower chairs, raised toilet seats, and the likes for major home maintenance in New Jersey. Aside from that, minor fixes such as removing throw rugs, putting non-slip treads, moving low furniture, and the likes should be done too. Grab bar installation in New Jersey is another task to consider as well.
- Install sufficient lighting at home.Aid the older adult in seeing the surrounding better by installing enough lighting fixture at home. Install bright lights in stairwells, closets, and hallways. It is also recommended to consider those lighting fixtures that automatically turn on and off through motion or sound.
- Fix the kitchen.The kitchen has many hazards. Thus, prioritize this when doing major fixes. For example, you can install automatic devices for turning the stove on or off. Do not forget to buy a fire extinguisher and placing it within reach too.
- Check the security alarms.If the house is not yet equipped with them, make sure that you install CO2 and smoke alarms. Don’t forget to install anti-theft alarms as well. Once they are installed, test them.
- Research the in-home care provider you are considering to hire.If you are hiring an in-home care provider to assist the older adult in their daily activities, be sure to do your homework. Run background checks and even do incognito visits. Check their qualifications and licenses. In short, see to it that you are hiring the most qualified and trustworthy provider.
- Stay in touch.Whether or not the aging parent is living alone, it is only natural to stay in touch. You can take advantage of free calling apps nowadays to frequently call your parent without jacking up your phone bill.
With these tips, modifying the home so that it becomes a safe place for your parent to live in will be easy. AIP Mobility Plus can assist you when you have questions or requests for home maintenance and modifications as well. Please let us know your thoughts at 973-607-3211.